Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Sacrament of Holy Orders

It is a Sacrament because

1st It Confers Grace

1 Timothy 4:14
Neglect not the grace that is in thee, which was given thee by prophesy, with imposition of the hands of the priesthood.

2 Timothy 1:6
For which cause I admonish thee, that thou stir up the grace of God which is in thee, by the imposition of my hands.


2nd Instituted by Christ

Luke 22:19
And taking bread, he gave thanks, and brake; and gave to them, saying: This is my body, which is given for you. Do this for a commemoration of me.

John 20:21-23
He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.


Conferred by the Apostles

Acts 14:22
And when they had ordained to them priests in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, in whom they believed.

1 Timothy 5:22
Impose not hands lightly upon any man, neither be partaker of other men's sins. Keep thyself chaste.

2 Timothy 1:6
For which cause I admonish thee, that thou stir up the grace of God which is in thee, by the imposition of my hands.

Titus 1:5
For this cause I left thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and shouldest ordain priests in every city, as I also appointed thee


The Manner of Conferring

Acts 6:5-6
And the saying was liked by all the multitude. And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith, and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas, a proselyte of Antioch. These they set before the apostles; and they praying, imposed hands upon them.

Acts 13:2-3
And as they were ministering to the Lord, and fasting, the Holy Ghost said to them: Separate me Saul and Barnabas, for the work whereunto I have taken them. Then they, fasting and praying, and imposing their hands upon them, sent them away.

1 Timothy 4:14
Neglect not the grace that is in thee, which was given thee by prophesy, with imposition of the hands of the priesthood.

No comments: